Shape Lengths in feet

12-13-2019 05:51 AM
BradBennett1
New Contributor II

ArcGIS Online is a global mapping service but does not offer dynamically updated shape lengths of lines. For this project we have sewer lines between manholes and when I publish the map from ArcMap to ArcGIS Online the units (even if I have changed the WGS1984 coordinate system to show units in feet in ArcMap) will show in meters on ArcGIS Online. You can create a new field and input a formula to convert but this field does not update real time and has to be done manually. If this is truly a global service then the user should have the ability to use units other than meters.

1 Comment
KoryKramer

I haven't tested from ArcMap, but when I publish from ArcGIS Pro, here is what I see.

1. My layer is in state plane California III FIPS 0403.  I have a line that is about 2 million feet long.

When my Map was in a projection of meters and I shared the layer to ArcGIS Online, the resulting hosted feature service was in meters (i.e. it took the map's projection when publishing).  The shape_length was correctly converted to meters, and when I digitized a new line, it was in meters.

2. So... I changed the Map's projection in ArcGIS Pro to match the layer's.

I publish the layer to ArcGIS Online, and I see that it is in feet

And digitizing new features adds them in feet to the attribute table

(just for illustration purposes, I got as close as I could with the measure tool...)