Select to view content in your preferred language

Set the map extent in Map Viewer Map properties tab

09-22-2022 09:42 AM
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Currently, the extent of a map in the Map Viewer is reset to whatever it is when the map is saved. I would like to be able to set the extent of a map that will persist regardless of what the current extent of the map is when it is saved.

My use case is I have a number of different layers in my map, but none of them have the extent that I want to for the map. I have to add another layer ("Default Zoom layer") that has the extent I want to use, zoom to that extent, and then remove it. I do not want that specific layer in my map, since in the app that uses the web map, I programmatically add that layer.

map1.png

map2.png

5 Comments
ChelseaRozek

I ran into this issue again today, so I wish I could upvote this idea multiple times. When I'm working on a map, I'm exploring the data, altering symbology, adding/removing layers, etc. It's not obvious that every time you save it, it sets that as the default extent in your apps. Especially when the customer wants a weird extent, I'm afraid of forgetting to reset it every time I work on the map or if someone else works on the map they may not realize they have to do that too.

I see a preserve map scale option in the map properties. I would love to see a set initial extent option right there too or maybe a toggle of saving a new initial extent when saving the web map. 

marksm_macomb

Commenting to add that I think a lot of people, including me, would benefit from more customizable default extent settings, or even a way to change the increments or "steps" between zoom levels when you scroll or click the "+/-" buttons. In Pro, you can hold down the right mouse button to zoom very gradually in order to get an exact fit of your map in your layout. A function similar to that would be helpful in web maps. 

Jesse_WI_DNR

I was just about to post a duplicate idea of this, glad I found this one.  This seems like an obvious "easy win" adding a comment and kudos.

ChelseaRozek

Still don't see this as an option in 2024... I'd also like to tack on that it would be nice to be able to save a default of which layers you want on/off as well as the initial extent. Especially now that we have groups, it would be nice to not have to remember which particular combination of on/off you want the default in your apps to be after you work on the webmap.

NourSalamJMT

This would be very helpful especially when setting scales for other applications such as dashboards and experience builders.