Set the map extent in Map Viewer Map properties tab

09-22-2022 09:42 AM
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Currently, the extent of a map in the Map Viewer is reset to whatever it is when the map is saved. I would like to be able to set the extent of a map that will persist regardless of what the current extent of the map is when it is saved.

My use case is I have a number of different layers in my map, but none of them have the extent that I want to for the map. I have to add another layer ("Default Zoom layer") that has the extent I want to use, zoom to that extent, and then remove it. I do not want that specific layer in my map, since in the app that uses the web map, I programmatically add that layer.

map1.png

map2.png

4 Comments
ChelseaRozek

I ran into this issue again today, so I wish I could upvote this idea multiple times. When I'm working on a map, I'm exploring the data, altering symbology, adding/removing layers, etc. It's not obvious that every time you save it, it sets that as the default extent in your apps. Especially when the customer wants a weird extent, I'm afraid of forgetting to reset it every time I work on the map or if someone else works on the map they may not realize they have to do that too.

I see a preserve map scale option in the map properties. I would love to see a set initial extent option right there too or maybe a toggle of saving a new initial extent when saving the web map. 

marksm_macomb

Commenting to add that I think a lot of people, including me, would benefit from more customizable default extent settings, or even a way to change the increments or "steps" between zoom levels when you scroll or click the "+/-" buttons. In Pro, you can hold down the right mouse button to zoom very gradually in order to get an exact fit of your map in your layout. A function similar to that would be helpful in web maps. 

JessePapez__-_RR

I was just about to post a duplicate idea of this, glad I found this one.  This seems like an obvious "easy win" adding a comment and kudos.

ChelseaRozek

Still don't see this as an option in 2024... I'd also like to tack on that it would be nice to be able to save a default of which layers you want on/off as well as the initial extent. Especially now that we have groups, it would be nice to not have to remember which particular combination of on/off you want the default in your apps to be after you work on the webmap.