Select to view content in your preferred language

Set Layer to Use Default Symbology and Pop-Up

08-05-2024 08:47 PM
ScottHicksLCC
Emerging Contributor

I have layers (Property, Owner Information, Parcel information, ect) in all of my web maps (over 10 web maps). Any time I need to make a change to the popup, I need to make this change manually in each web map. 

I would like a way to make this change once on the layer and have the change flow through to each of my web maps. This would prevent the need for multiple updates to the layer in each WebMap.  

I do not believe there is a way to currently do this, however I envision this to work by: 

1) Centralize Layer Styling: Set the style, popup, and visibility options for each layer in a centralized location under the "Visualization" tab or in ArcGIS Pro on the Feature Layer. 

ScottHicksLCC_0-1722914736096.png

2) Default Styling Toggle: Then, in each web map, a "use default styling" toggle would be available for each layer. When enabled, this toggle would override any custom styling applied within the web map, applying the centralized style settings instead. This toggle would also prevent edits to the layer's style and popup within the web map, unless the "use default styling" option is disabled.

3) Automatic Updates: Now, any further changes made to the layer in the visualisation tab/ or in ArcGIS Pro would automatically be applied to the layer in each of my web maps. This would mean I only need to make the update once in a centralized location and ensure the "use default styling" toggle is enabled. 

Current Situation:

• Manual Updates: I must update each map individually, which is time-consuming and prone to error.

• Workaround 1: Update the style in the "Visualization" tab/ArcGIS Pro, then remove and re-add the layer to each web map. This approach is risky as it may lead to missing layers or incorrect configurations, and requires multiple changes for each web map. 

• Workaround 2: Use ArcGIS Pro to copy the updated layer to each web map. While this avoids some issues, it is still a cumbersome process and highlights the need for a more centralized management solution for pop-ups and styles.

3 Comments
AndreasHall

I think this is partly implemented already. In the Properties tab in the map viewer, under Information, there is a Manage layer properties. When you click it you get the option to Reset to source layer properties. This option should allow the changes made in the Visualization tab to be reflected in each individual web map.

AndreasHall_0-1722930059680.png

ScottHicksLCC

Hi @AndreasHall

Thanks for your quick reply to my idea.

I wasn't aware of this option in AGOL. I tested it, and it seems to work as I envisioned. Here's the process I followed to test it:

1. Create an Arcade Expression:

• Set a new Arcade expression on the Property layer under the Virtualisation tab that returned the text 'Test V1'.
  2. Apply the Change in WebMap:

• In the Planning WebMap, use the 'reset to source layer properties' option as you suggested. This brought the change across from the layer. (Which is great!)
  3. Create Another Arcade Expression:

• Set another new expression on the Property layer under the Virtualisation tab that returned the text 'Test V2'. This new change automatically appeared in the Planning popup, exactly as I wanted which is fantastic. 

4. Moving Further:
    • Now, I just need to go to each of my WebMaps and ensure the 'reset to source layer properties' option is selected for my Property layer and any other layers I need centralized.

Property layer - Virtualisation tab:

ScottHicksLCC_2-1722995315477.png

Planning WebMap:

ScottHicksLCC_3-1722995328776.png

Just wondering if there is any default settings for the 'reset to source layer properties' to always be used? Not sure how this would work, but if you can point me in the right direction it would be fantastic. 

Thanks again, this will improve my ability to update pop-ups quickly and throughout our system, which is fantastic. 

- Scott Hicks | Latrobe City Council | GIS & Application Officer

AndreasHall

Great that it worked! I would assume that if you add a layer to a map, without making any changes to the styling, it will use the source layer properties as default, but I have not tested it.