Rotate Labels for Points in ArcGIS Online

09-22-2022 05:59 PM
PeterMacKenzie2
Occasional Contributor II

Please allow for the rotation of labels for points in ArcGIS Online Feature Layers using a numeric field (or a hard coded value). Similar to what you can do in ArcGIS Pro. 

My particular use case: engineering road chainage labels are commonly aligned perpendicular to the a road alignment (and also offset) in drawings and plans. Consistency between web maps and drawings are valuable for AEC users. Just one example here, rotated labels can improve web cartography in many other ways. 

Documentation for label rotation in Pro:
Set point label rotation—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

This was also question from 2020:
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/rotating-labels/td-p/627894

Image to describe idea:
LABEL_ROTATION.jpg

4 Comments
mpboyle

Yes please!  We have a point dataset that represents detailed real estate text, and having the ability to rotate this text within a web map would better align the text to how it's represented within Pro.

Michael_Kraus

Agree that ArcGIS online needs to be able to rotate point labels by a numeric attribute.

While not a solution, I noticed even sharing as a map layer to AGOL has point text ignoring the rotation settings from ArcGIS Pro - while ArcGIS Enterprise honours these settings.

A potential workaround is to share as a tiles, which means AGOL can display the labels rotated.  Whether this is suitable to switch your entire layer to tiles or just the annotation component and continue to publish your other geometry as feature layers.  It does take away the dynamic ability to switch to another label field, but may be suitable for text elements that are static.

ThordisSigurgestsdottir

YES please !   Agree that ArcGIS online needs to be able to rotate point labels by a numeric attribute.

GordonCourtney

Please consider this in future releases. I would like to be able to label road right of way width to be perpendicular to the road centerline so it makes more sense visually.