Query Vector Tile Layers for Feature Attributes

11-25-2020 10:57 AM
Matthew_Williams
New Contributor III

There doesn't seem to be a way to utilize vector tile layers beyond visualization of large vector datasets. It would be very useful to be able to click on individual features and query the values stored in the fields of the underlying dataset. This functionality is available with competitors like Mapbox. A use case example of this can be seen with INSAR data that is provided as shapefiles of millions of points, complete with displacement data over time stored in each field.

Currently the best way to display the points on a web map is to use vector tiles at zoomed out scales, then as you zoom in, hide the tile layer and show a hosted feature layer of the actual data. It would be ideal if we could skip the hosted feature layer and just access the data through the vector tiles.

I've seen some discussion about this being implemented, but nothing since about 2016 or 2017. An ESRI support analyst told me about 6 months ago that this was on the road map, but it seems to have been on the road map for about 5 years.

2 Comments
JustinOdell

I have had the same experience as @Matthew_Williams .

Are there any updates on this?

MarieNeigeGuérin

We have the same issue, any updates ?