Select to view content in your preferred language

Password protected sharing ArcGIS Online without organizational account

02-09-2015 11:12 AM
TomBos
by
New Contributor II

What would really be beneficial to ArcGIS Online from my point of view, would be adding the possibility to share content with 'everyone' while using some form of basic password protection (password protected sharing for users without organizational account). Other cloud services (OneDrive for example) offer similar functionality. The lack of this functionality is pretty much what keeps me from using ArcGIS Online for sharing content.

31 Comments
orcablackwhite

This is 100% needed.

I work in a consulting field where the people who need to see our maps our outside of our organization.

Not being able to share maps at least semi-securely is driving us to other products that offer these capabilities.  

I'd be happy to see either a password protected option (for less sensitive data) or an option to send an email invite to users outside our organization that allows them to create a free view-only account as long as that process is easy and simple--many of these users are not going to be willing to jump through hoops to view the map (if it is any more complicated than clicking on an email link and setting a password, they're simply not going to do it).

I'm able to do that with other services, but I'd love to be able to stick within the ArcGIS ecosystem and share layers/maps/apps that way.