Only make visible layers queryable on the ArcGIS.com viewer

08-12-2011 12:03 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

When I deploy a map service on ArcGIS.com and edit it to configure pop-ups, I'm faced with a dilemma.  Say I have a map with the same data shown in different groups visible at different scales using different symbology.  If I enable pop-ups on all scales, when the user queries the map, pop-ups are shown for the data at all scales, producing duplicate pop-ups.  If I enable pop-ups at only the largest scale and the user happens to turn off that scale, when they query the map, no pop-ups are visible.  The ideal scenario would be to enable pop-ups at all scales and when a user queries the map, only the visible data is queried, thus returning a single pop-up.  It then doesn’t matter which layer(s) the user has turned off.  As long as they see data and query it, a pop-up will be returned.

1 Comment
by Anonymous User
Our team found a way to get pop-ups to behave in such a way that they only show when queried when visible.  We had designed grouped layers in ArcMap and assigned each group to be visible at certain scales.  But it seems that the groups' visibilities are not taken into account when pop-ups are enabled.  Only each layer's visibility is used when querying and retuning pop-ups.  So the solution is to assign scale visibility at the layer level and not necessarily at the group level.