More options for Time-enabled display in ArcGIS Online maps

09-19-2014 06:42 AM
KentBraddy
New Contributor II
Currently, time-enabled display in ArcGIS Online web maps & applications is limited to a full D/M/Y. Some time data has calendar year only (YYYY) and doesn't work well with D/M/Y display. For example, if my only options are a calendar year, which goes for a full 365 days, a date range of December 31, 2000 to December 31, 2001 will show both 2000 and 2001 in a feature that has only year as a time attribute.

Please modify the maps and apps to function with a year only (YYYY) date field, and please make the time sliders lock onto a single year display, without always forcing two sliders that cover a span.
3 Comments
NorthSouthGIS

I have the exact same issue/request. In Desktop, I can show exactly one year's worth of data by excluding either the start or end time of the current interval. In ArcGIS Online, showing data for one year at a time actually shows data from two years. Here are my settings:

Here is what my data looks like:

You can clearly see that the pink points (2016) are mixing with points from 2017 (navy) if those points fall on 1/1/2017. In ArcGIS Online, either the start or end date should be excluded by default with these settings. I consider this a BUG because the user is expecting 1 year of data but they get a year and one day. 

ChristianSailer2

My request is very simple.

I just need

Date-Time Queries

in the Filter Widget of the AGOL Map Viewer in a way it's described 2018 in https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/api-rest/data-management/querying-feature-services-date-ti...

I don't understand why this is not supported.

It was already mentioned in

ENH-000107942 - Provide ability to filter field by a user-specified time frame to include both date and time for hosted feature services in ArcGIS Online

and has the status

"Will not be addressed"

????

Oliviam22

@NorthSouthGIS I am trying to create a dataset which will enable the time slider option. Your picture above seems to be what I am trying to create but I can't seem to figure out how it works. Can you tell me what format your data looked like when you inputted it into ArcGIS Online? Do you use excel or is there something else I should be using. Currently every time I try, the layer won't let me turn on the time slider. Please let me know if you can help with this!