Select to view content in your preferred language

More Label Settings in Webmaps

04-03-2023 09:19 AM
NormBetland
Occasional Contributor

It is really necessary to begin allowing map creators the same level of label settings in ArcGIS Online as there is in the desktop applications. 

The greatest need that I experience is the ability to force a label inside polygon features if the centroid is located outside. I work with a zoning map that has highly irregular shaped zones in some locations and several of those zones have a centroid outside of polygon, and so the label shows up within another zone. Currently, the only way to resolve this is to divide these types of zones into multiple parts that each have their own centroid within these smaller zones. While annoying, this works with something like a zoning map.

But other maps such as census block maps, it is impossible to further break down oddly shaped census blocks into smaller polygons because the population distribution is not given to me in any smaller geographic areas. 

As a GIS professional, I find that I can figure out pretty easily which labels belong to which features in such scenarios, but the general public doesn't always understand it when they see these confusing misplaced labels. I believe this feature is not only long overdue, but is a basic cartographic necessity that should already be in our toolbox.

3 Comments
NormBetland

I actually received feedback this week questioning the veracity of my maps and my abilities as a GIS professional due to this labeling limitation on web maps. Is there any indication on when we can expect this issue to be resolved? This is a highly urgent and basic cartographic necessity.

Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor

I get the same feedback from my users and have to say that it is a software limitation, not a limitation of me and it can be frustrating when they say "just ask other people"

ChelseaRozek

running into this issue as well. trying to label soil polygons and when they zoom in closely to an area, they can't see the labels because they don't redraw to the new extent, they stay near the centroid