More basic symbol shapes in ArcGIS Online

09-14-2016 12:20 PM
RyanKelso
Occasional Contributor III

When changing a layer's style, please add more options for basic shape symbols.  Currently there is a square, circle, and diamond.  I am referring to the ones where you can change the fill color, outline color, and transparency.  These symbols offer good customization and can look very nice in a minimal kind of way.  Triangle, star, hexagon, or anything else like that would be great.

Tags (1)
6 Comments
MegHoole

Funny that the "change style" icon has a triangle... and a square and a circle!  But no triangle to be found in the marker options

Please add more simple shapes to the "Basic" style category.

Anneka_France

This is really important for producing maps and story maps that are accessible to people with visual impairments. This paper sums it up nicely: Color Design for the Color Vision Impaired | Jenny | Cartographic Perspectives 

JohnMDye

If they would just add proper support across the platform for SVG, this wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue. I get that the SVG spec is a friggin mess but they managed it in Pro and all modern web browsers changing SVG colors using simple CSS fill properties, so I really don't understand why Esri hasn't done more here.

KarinaLivingston

It would be really helpful to have a triangle in the basic category for online maps. 

BrittanyBankovich1

Why has this never been resolved? It was originally posed in 2016. More fillable (custom) shapes are needed.

JoanieAppell_FD

I agree that this basic functionally needs to be added and can't believe that it has been six years since this was first brought up.  A fillable triangle seems like such an easy, basic thing when there are so many other strange options for symbology.