Layer Metadata Widget

04-04-2019 11:51 AM
JoeBryant1
Occasional Contributor III

If you've spent a lot of time updating the descriptions and metadata for each layer in a hosted feature service, you'd like the fruits of your labor to be viewed by those using the service. But currently, when creating a Web App using WebApp Builder in ArcGIS Online, there is no way to consume and display the layer descriptions from either the item description page or the layer metadata itself in the web app (according to ESRI support).

In some configurations of the Layer List Widget, you can select "Show Item Details", but this opens a separate tab in your browser, and displays the item description for the feature class, not the layer.

I'd like to have a version of either the Legend, Layer or Info widgets that consumes the Description from either the layer item or the layer metadata (why they are not the same is another issue) that could be displayed in an informational window right in the app along with the layer symbol.

As a work around, I am current using the "Info Summary" widget, and copying and pasting the descriptions for the layers into the Label field in the widget configuration. But adding this much text to a label field makes the cell huge and causes the symbol icon to become large and pixelated.

3 Comments
by Anonymous User

I propose just adding this to the layer list.  In fact, the Description should behave like how I created it:

Click the '...' then Description on the layer in the layer list in my demo. I use this for my sites now. Most end users do not know what REST is and find the page confusing and think they clicked something wrong. However I include it as an option, for the power user.

http://cloud.sagis.org/elayerlist/

https://community.esri.com/thread/188432-enhanced-layer-list-metadata-11017

The layer list has a few vital Ideas that have been documented the past few years:  partial checkboxes, ability to turn layers on in one click even if the parent group is off, option for programmers to have layer expanded by default. I found the new word search for layers an awesome intuitive feature, and ability to move layers. So I know they WAB team is steadily working on things and they have over all created an awesome product.  Layer List is one of the main widgets of course, and is literally in every app I create no matter its purpose and integrating metadata in it would be excellent.

ZorbaConlen1

Nice. Definitely should be added to layer list widget. Other ideas to implement this are:

1) show description when user hovers on layer 

2) Display an icon, like the little blue i or a ?. When clicked or hovered, show the description. 

by Anonymous User

agree. That would be more discoverable. Users always miss the ".." button.  As they do with the <> next/back button in the popup for multiple features. (I have an idea about that I'll post later this week when I can mock up some gfx)