Layer check box on new map viewer

03-01-2024 02:42 PM
AlexAnder
New Contributor II

The new map viewer is nice but I have a very hard time with the visibility of the layer checkboxes. On the old map viewer, the tried and true simple checkbox design makes it very obvious if a layer is visible or not. Empty Box = invisible and Checked Box = visible

AlexAnder_1-1709332421613.png

The new map viewer flips this. Now it's Greyed Out Eyeball = Invisible and No Eyeball = Visible. This is (to me) visually confusing and counterintuitive. It makes it difficult to know what layers I have checked at a glance.

AlexAnder_2-1709332528524.png

1 Comment
PeterKnoop

Being at an education institution, we continually are introducing new users to the Map Viewer. While users get it after awhile, most find the current experience initially counter-intuitive, and, if they are not frequent users, they are generally confused whenever time they resume using Map Viewer.

As @AlexAnder notes, users are expecting to see an indicator shown when a layer is visible, rather than an indicator shown when a layer is not visible. For our users, who often are not previous users of Map Viewer Classic or Pro, this expectation is being set through user experience with other applications they commonly use.