Select to view content in your preferred language

Label fields in pop-up charts - NOT on hover

03-30-2022 08:24 AM
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor II

I'm looking for a way to add field/category labels to my data. You get them on hover, but I really want something to be shown at all times. These charts are pretty useless at a glance without them - to require the user to mouse over each category just to see what's what is ridiculous and impractical.

rburkebsrc_0-1648651911226.png

rburke_0-1676322813054.png

rburke_1-1676322822982.png

12 Comments
BrittanyBurson

+1, the Chart elements are a great start but we really need labels. 

BrittanyBurson_0-1657318131948.png

BrittanyBurson_1-1657318167873.png

Shouldn't have to hover.

Thanks for posting this.

ArielLow2146

100% agree. It would also be great to have an option for axis titles in addition to labels.

wayfaringrob

@ArielLow2146  yes! In school I learned to always label my axes and units...

wayfaringrob

I've resorted to putting this manual 'warning' in each pop-up with a chart. I hate this as a solution as it makes quick glances impossible, especially since you can't even format the colors of your charts to be something intuitive or consistent. It's inelegant, and for a company that promotes itself as a data vis solution, it's disappointing that they themselves didn't pass 101 and I can't do basic stuff like label my charts.

rburke_0-1674497398574.png

wayfaringrob
wayfaringrob

Another example from someone else's published app ... really difficult to distinguish years or glean information without any labels.

rburke_0-1678290996471.png

Labeling data is a fundamental of good data visualization that I really need Esri to acknowledge.

JoshuaBixby

Without basic labeling options for axes, having popup charts is sort of pointless.

wayfaringrob

@JoshuaBixby  agree.

MatthewSisk

Just want to add my voice to the fact that it is frankly ridiculous that there is no way to add x-axis labels.

wayfaringrob

@BernSzukalski, is your team aware of this request? I know there have been some improvements in the charts department, but this is just such a glaring omission. Every chart making software I have ever used has had axis labeling options, and in AGO, there's not really a manual workaround.