Select to view content in your preferred language

Include Recycle bin content in search results

yesterday
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

With the implementation of the Recycle bin (yay!), we are now seeing a frequent point of confusion for users sharing a web layer from Pro with the same name as an existing hosted feature layer in the recycle bin. To help address this, we would like to see search results for Content include items that are in the recycle bin.

One use case in which this issue arises is when a user shared a layer from Pro, was not happy with the result, deleted the hosted feature layer and service definition, and then tried to publish it again. When they get the error about a layer already existing with that same name, they often have forgotten that deleting only moved their content to the recycle bin. So they search their content looking for the offending items, get zero results, and do not understand what is going on. It would be helpful if searching their content also returned matching results that were in their recycle gin.

A related use case arises when one user has put a hosted feature layer in their recycle bin, and another user is trying to use the same name. So the user trying to share their web layer reaches out to an Administrator for help, as they cannot figure out what is causing the error. When the Administrator searches the content for the whole organization, they are not able to find the offending hosted feature layer either.

2 Comments
Matt-Huser

Ran into this exact issue with hosted feature layers and some of our python automations.  Kept getting an error stating the item already existed and it took me longer than I want to admit to realize it was hidden in the recycle bin!

mapmcburney

Also ran into this issue with a notebook. I tried searching for the offending layer but search results came up empty. 

Could this be an even larger issue if the offending layer name is in a recycle bin of another user in the same organization? 

Please include the recycle bin in search results!