Include ability to update feature service Feature Templates on Visualization page

05-22-2023 09:13 PM
LindsayRaabe_FPCWA
Occasional Contributor III

Scenario: I can add a new Domain value to a feature service and update the symbology to include that new domain value in the layer, which appears in all my maps, but then once in that map, I can't create a new feature using that new Domain value. I currently have to create a feature using one of the original feature templates, and then edit the feature type to use the new domain value. This is not ideal. 

IDEA: When configuring a feature service in ArcGIS Online, we can use the Visualization page to configure things such as Label expressions, Symbology, Popups, etc.....but currently there is no way to update the default Feature Templates for the feature service - include this as an option please!

As discussed here, existing feature templates can be modified using the Field Maps Designer per map that contains the layer, but these changes can NOT be applied universally and inherited by all maps containing that layer (the way you can with a label, popup or symbology change) (update: this change does flow through to all maps containing that layer, but is still limited to editing existing templates and doesn't permit creating completely new feature templates). And if the feature templates are updated in Map Viewer Classic, these are also ignored in the new Map Viewer and Field Maps. 

4 Comments
JoeBryant1

YES! If I add a type to the domain I want the create feature template in Field Maps to see the change and allow me to add that type as a new template. Currently I have to create a new map, which is a pain.

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

@JoeBryant1 Glad I'm not the only one with this issue! Seems like a big (but obvious) gap in functionality to me. 

KevinMayall

I'm amazed that this is not in Map Viewer under the Edit tools.

LindsayRaabe_FPCWA

Just filled out a survey for the Early Adopter Community around Field Maps Designer and Feature Templates and what functionality we use and would like to see added. I encourage others to check out the EAC if you're interested in knowing more!

ArcGIS Field Maps - ArcGIS Field Maps (esri.com)