Group manager but no authorisation to create groups

02-06-2020 01:10 AM
StaatsbosbeheerBeheerder
New Contributor II

In Arcgis Online, to make a member 'group manager' their role needs a full complement of group authorisations. Including 'create / delete groups'. 

In our company this would lead to extra groups under these member accounts, which creates extra overhead, too much management, chaos... We need a more manageable environment.

So I would like to be able to make a member 'group manager' of an existing, official company group, WITHOUT them having 'group create / delete etc' authorisation in their overall role. 

At this moment, if I try to make a member group-manager with only 4 of the 5 group authorisations ticked, I get an error message 'insufficient authorisations'. Grrrr.....

To be a manager of an existing group you don't need to be able to create your own groups! 

2 Comments
AnthonyRyanEQL

Total agree with this. I'm facing the same issue now as I don't want group creation to run rampant just because a named user (group manager) of a group for the purpose of management of content has the privilege to create/delete groups.

These types of functions (eg. create, delete) are clearly for the named users with elevated privileges for portal governance

ReydeCastro

Completely agree with this as well.  I ran into the same exact  scenario.