Dropbox/Google Drive-style plugin functionality for ArcGIS Online

10-07-2013 12:20 PM
NathanEnge
Esri Contributor
As a consultant touting how easy it is to use ArcGIS Online for self-service mapping and content management, many of my clients comment on how any "clicks" and windows it takes to get something as simple as a PDF up into the cloud. I would like to see added functionality put into the already existing AGOL connection manager icon in the taskbar to enable users drag and drop functionality directly to their private organizational workspace - with the ability to enable sharing across their organization.

This is a much simpler approach to navigating to AGOL, signing in, clicking into the personal workspace, select the Add file and browse to the file...
Tags (1)
1 Comment
BrianFlood
we're testing a new integration service between ArcGIS Online and DropBox (https://www.arc2box.com ) and one of the features we wanted to add was using DropBox as a front-end to an AGOL account. Arc2Box would mimic your Org's folder structure in DropBox and then copy over any files that you have access to. Likewise, when new items are shared with you, they would appear in your DropBox folders automatically (which is great for desktop as well as mobile access).  From the desktop, you could easily drag-drop new items to DropBox and they would be added to your AGOL account.

ArcGIS Online is great as an organizational structure for your data. DropBox is great for synchronizing files between that central location and all of your computer devices. 

let me know if you want to try this out