Select to view content in your preferred language

Copy and paste layers from one web map to other web maps in AGOL

03-29-2019 02:14 AM
JohnEsch
Occasional Contributor

In AGOL one can spend a significant amount of time, filtering, symbolizing, configuring a custom popup for a given layer for a web map. This same layer may need to be used in a number of different web maps/apps for a variety of different purposes. I would rather not recreate the wheel and refiltering, resymbolizing, reconfiguring a custom popup for each web map that needs to use this layer. It would be very helpful if AGOL could allow copy and pasting layers from one web map to another.

3 Comments
erica_poisson

This would be massively helpful if it were possible. 

PeterKnoop

FYI, the ArcGIS Online June 2022 update introduced the ability to save a layer for reuse in other web maps (Save and duplicate layers.

AntoonvanHam

It looks like the ability to copy and reuse map layers is only possible with feature layers and not with layers from a standard ArcGIS map service. I find this strange because functionalities such as pop-ups are also widely used.
But also in general, I find it strange that the possibility of copying and pasting map layers is not or as limited as possible in ArcGIS Online and therefore also in Portal for ArcGIS. Isn't this one of the most basic functionalities in software? I use this so often in so many places, including ArcGIS Pro.