Select to view content in your preferred language

Configure Smart Forms at the Feature Layer Level

09-15-2023 08:11 AM
marksm_macomb
Occasional Contributor

Currently, it is only possible to configure a smart form within a specific web map (either using Web Map Viewer or Field Maps Designer). It would be helpful to be able to configure the smart form as a setting at the feature layer level, so that smart form will be the default for whatever web map that layer is added to. 

Ex: we have a layer showing the boundaries of different as-built/engineering plans. In that layer there is an attribute for a link that sends you to the plan document on our hosted file site. That link is created from a unique ID. Currently in Enterprise we have an attribute rule when the user enters just the ID for that feature, it will then create the link based on the ID. It would be great to have this in AGO as well, where I would set up an attribute calculation in a smart form at the layer level, and then any new map I create with that layer would have the same functionality without me needing to configure each map that the layer is added to. 

Or maybe you have a high accuracy data collection point layer where the z value is captured in meters, but you typically create a smart form that converts the elevation from meters to feet and writes the value to an attribute. This needs to happen every time a point is collected, regardless of what map it is collected in. You would set the default smart form on the layer so that attribute calculation applies to every map the layer is added to. 

3 Comments
AlixVezina
Status changed to: Already Offered

@marksm_macomb It is possible to save your smart form configurations to the layer. Use the Save option in Map Viewer to save layer configurations directly to the feature layer.

Saving Feature Layers in Map Viewer (esri.com)

AlixVezina_0-1694794348122.png

marksm_macomb

@AlixVezina That's awesome! I was looking for this functionality in the feature layer overview/visualization/settings tabs so that's why I couldn't find it. Thank you!

AlfredBaldenweck

It does make a lot of sense to save a form in the actual feature layer's item settings (visualization); would it be possible to add it there?