Combine Attachment Viewer and Oriented Imagery Widget capability

09-02-2022 09:12 AM
PaulDohertyFEMA
New Contributor III

Real-world Problem: In Urban Search and Rescue, we often use photos taken with QuickCapture for reconnaissance of an area. These could be from a boat/helicopter during hasty search to look for areas where survivors need rescue or from the ground during primary search (going door to door). Seeing the photos on the map is incredibly valuable, however, sometimes it is difficult to know what buildings / debris are in the photo. 

Technical Problem: We have been using the Attachment Viewer Attachment Viewer—ArcGIS Instant Apps | Documentation for quickly scanning an area for damage. We can look at a photo of damage in the gallery and then quickly see it's location. However, the orientation of the photo does not always come through. When it does show the orientation, it is just a simple icon and does not show the "viewshed" of the photo.

EXAMPLES SHOWN ARE FROM TRAINING / EXERCISE (Thanks IL-Water Rescue 1!) - but we use this for tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, wildfire, earthquakes, etc. 

Link: Photo Viewer | v8 NAPSG USAR Sandbox (9b40C) (arcgis.com)

PaulDohertyFEMA_4-1662134535769.png

So we started exploring the Oriented Imagery Managing and visualizing oriented imagery—Imagery Workflows | Documentation (arcgis.com) capability which looks very promising. However, the Experience Builder widget lacks an intuitive user interface. When you open it you are provided icons, but no text or any direction on what to do next. Most of the US&R system have very little time to train on technology and would likely not take the time to read the documentation below (although it is helpful).

PaulDohertyFEMA_3-1662134365070.png

In this example, I just click on all the buttons above until something appeared on the map. I eventually noticed there were "tooltips", but even these had terminology I was not familiar with as a GIS Professional. 

Example: Oriented Photos | v8 NAPSG USAR Sandbox (9b40C) (arcgis.com)

PaulDohertyFEMA_2-1662134305714.png

Proposed Solution(s) - The Oriented Imagery capability is extremely powerful and useful for a wide variety of use cases. However, the usability challenge will limit adoption of this tool, at least for search and rescue.

1) Incorporate Oriented Imagery into the existing Attachment Viewer - since this Instant App already has a very intuitive design, it would be a great way to introduce a non-GIS user to the capability. 

2) Redesign the Experience Builder Widget - use a design-first approach and walk the user through how the application works. Incorporate a side-by-side gallery of photos. When they click on the photo, show the viewshed of the photo. This widget has a lot of potential because it could be used with editing tools for inspection workflows, but in it's current state we won't be using it.  

I don't know how difficult it would be to develop these solutions, but I know it would be a big win for the end user! 

@PeterBecker  @CodyBenkelman @Jianxia @Ismael @StuartRucker