ArcGIS Online web map export/import

03-01-2016 01:42 PM
MarcusHarner
Occasional Contributor
It would be nice to export a web map as an XML file, similar to how you can export an XML Workspace Document from a geodatabase.  Conversely, having the ability to import an XML to create or update a web map would be great.  This could be used for backing up web maps, with all of the layers and services and pop-ups etc.  Currently I have had to rebuild entire web maps if I change the properties of one of the services in the web map, and it is a bit frustrating.  Other than an XML, maybe a file that ArcGIS Pro could create, from a web map, and edit, then update a web map with the edited file. 
3 Comments
SimonMorgan
I think you can do this already. Instead of XML, however, you can pull up the JSON in a browser and save it to a file.

I am not sure if you can upload new JSON though.
FinbarGillen

Does anyone have a guide on how you can import a web map? I need to move a web map from my ArcGIS Online Account to Portal!

Any help appreciated!!

by Anonymous User

Hi Finbar,

If you are running ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 or higher (and still have a need for this) you can copy a web map from OnIine to Enterprise using distributed collaboration.

Hilary