ArcGIS Online labelling consistency

09-04-2017 04:06 AM
jennywilliams1
New Contributor II

Fix labels for ArcGIS Online as it is the face of many projects and datasets and they need to be legible and look good.

Labels do not display correctly when polygons are small in relation to the scale being used in ArcGIS Online. This results in the label not being legible even when zoomed in closely to the polygon.

The labels using MAPLEX work well in ArcGIS Pro, but they do not transition properly to ArcGIS Online.

The work around suggested was to add a transparent point and use the label for that, as it doesn't have the same issue, but this makes the online map pretty messy when users have access to the layer ribbon as well as the legend.

2 Comments
DionLiddell

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.4 and ArcGIS Online in 2019 and this is still a sore point for me.  It would be great if labelling in ArcGIS Online was on par with what is available in ArcGIS Pro.  It would be amazing if the map I created in ArcGIS Pro looked the same when published to AGOL - both in terms of symbology and labelling.

by Anonymous User

Thanks for submitting this idea - I wanted to reach out and see if some of the requirements in the idea have been addressed with labeling improvements in Map Viewer Beta: New Labels in ArcGIS Online's Map Viewer Beta: Make your maps shine. Specifically, I think the addition of scale dependency and multiple label classes will help with the issues mentioned. 

Would you also be able to link to a web map that exhibits the issue? 

Looking forward to your feedback on this, and thanks in advance. 

-Peter