Allow web maps to be hidden from Explorer

12-17-2018 08:02 PM
JamieLambert
Occasional Contributor III

Similar to this idea (now implemented with the DEC 2018 release of AGO) https://community.esri.com/ideas/15064-allow-web-maps-to-be-hidden-from-collector, also include a check box for Explorer. We have maps specifically for web apps and dashboards and maps for field use. It would be good to exclude these maps from showing up in Explorer. There is already enough noise with all the Living Atlas content that has no relevance to our work. Our field crews like things to be simple, and this would help by only displaying relevant content.

Tags (2)
3 Comments
JeffShaw2

Adding same comment I posted on what I suspect will be marked as a duplicate idea: Hide webmaps in Explorer for ArcGIS

This is important for our organization also. We have nearly 200 webmaps that are either public or shared with the organization. Most are designed for use within a specific application interface, and some of the org webmaps exist only for demonstration and template purposes. These along with many of our 600+ group-level webmaps also not intended for use in Explorer make it difficult to find those that are designed for use in Explorer. The current situation is confusing and inefficient for users and can result in data being used inappropriately.

What we really need is a better method of making webmaps and layers available only to the interface for which they are intended (rate limiting is not a viable solution given that passwords expire). Turning off access to Explorer doesn't prevent misuse in Web Viewer, but it would certain make Explorer much more useful for our members and the public.

GarethBaker1

Definitely an essential feature for us going forward as the number of web maps on our Portal increases.  We've designed web maps specifically for use in Explorer for any member of staff to use which are shared with the whole of the organisation. The trouble is that they get crowded out by any other web map which is shared to the organisation and it's basically just confusing to users.  The best we could come up with in the short term is to put the word MOBILE in capitals in the map name but ideally would like to have the ability to decide individually which ones should be shown as per this idea.

JasonCyphers

I have a lot of maps that are used in dashboards, that I don't need available in Explorer apps.  Being able to prevent them from being available in Explorer would eliminate a lot of confusion for app users trying to figure out which maps(s) they should be using.