Select to view content in your preferred language

Add Related/Maintenance Record to All Selected Features

06-08-2020 01:46 PM
KellyArmstrong
Frequent Contributor

I would like to be able to select multiple features and add a related record to each.

For example:

1.  Public Works crew goes out and flush all the city hydrants.  It would be nice to select all the hydrants and apply the same service (related record) to each hydrant.  When there are 1500 hydrants, this would take a week currently to add a related record to each hydrant, individually.

2.  Public Works crew sweeps all the streets.  Again, it would be nice to do the same as in #1, above.

3.  Public Works crew jets 10 storm sewers.  Again, it would be nice to do the same as in #1, above.

4.  All streets get striped.  Again, it would be nice to do the same as in #1, above.

5.  Many streets get reconstructed each year.  Again, it would be nice to the same as in #1, above.

There are so many examples that we in a City or Public Works environment, where this action isn't possible through any widget in AGOL and it makes entering services/maintenance records a real headache.

31 Comments
EaganGIS

Have there been any updates to this idea?  Any functionality added to the ArcPro or web map workflows?

We have almost identical needs like the ones Katrin listed.  This would be extremely helpful.

Thank you, Leah Sperduto

Esad
by

I hope we hear some good news soon. 

AndrewBarker3

This sounds like a great idea.  I can't wait for Esri to implement it!

MarkWILSON_LLS

Jumping on board a good idea here. 

Ideally, I'm after this function to work in a mobile space either entirely within fieldmaps or selecting multiple records within a FC and relating them all to 1 survey123 form. 

Our workflow sees field staff capturing pesticide records for reserves. Often they will spray multiple reserves in one session. 
If this can be done elsewhere, i'm all ears too. Many thanks

mw

ZachBodenner

I also recommend people kudos the Field Maps specific idea also, but I wanted to chirp in to request this broadly for future software improvements. Could definitely use this for our Forestry Staff in particular!

MilesThompson

Has this gone anywhere? We need this capability in Field Maps for tree maintenance activities and inspection records.

ArmstKP

@MilesThompson @ZachBodenner @MarkWILSON_LLS @AndrewBarker3 @EaganGIS @KevinMacLeodCAI @GrantHoward1 @Sietse_de_Haan @JTLancer @BrittanyBurson @DianneMichalak

I was able to create this functionality with the ArcGIS API for Javascript.  I had to create this app to enable this workflow.  I am not a developer or know how to code javascript very well, but CHATGPT does.  So, I told chatgpt what I wanted to do and it gave the code to create a website where I can now select multiple features and send the same inspection to all of them in the related inspection table.  If anybody needs any pointers on how to do this, let me know.

Here is the basic mock-up that worked:

ArmstKP_0-1707320716333.png

RicciLucas

@ArmstKP I'd be interested to see what prompt you gave to chatGPT. 

ArmstKP

@RicciLucas I prompted ChatGPT that I wanted to select multiple features on the map, obtain the GlobalID from those features and create a new record for each in the inspection table.  I gave ChatGPT the feature layer url and the inspection table url and i told it the fields I wanted to collect in the inspection editor panel (the side panel in the above photo) and what fields to send those to in the inspection table (mapped the fields).  If your layers aren't public, it will add an ArcgGIS Online login when you first run the code/open the website.

I used this html editor to paste the code into when ChatGPT generated it, and just click the green run button:  https://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_basic

Kevin_MacLeod

@ArmstKP nice! Do you have a link to a jsfiddle of that?  Hehe it is a little unnerving we can now be automated, but I suspect a lot of engineering around platform limitations like this will keep us gainfully employed at least another decade. 😄

Bulk related data editing is still needed.   First thing I came across upon rejoining local gov was we had inspections data that were being put into a feature class itself.  In other words, no preservation of historical data, the attribute fields were in the featureclass itself. I at once set up a related record table.    

1)  we need bulk editing for related data, this should be priority.  This is limiting mobile GIS and inspections for many (most) Esri customers.  Any domain, any sector.   

2) we need ability to create a record with a GP tool to create a record ( a row) in a standalone table.     I have to 'migrate' the data into the Related Table from the featureclass.  I had set up the GlobalID -> childGUID which is a field a created that is the foreign key in the child related table. This is because it will automatically populate and be created.  Otherwise if you use your own primary key field the end user has to populate that in the child related table. Non-starter; user error will occur.    So.......   how do I get data migrated into the related table from the featureclass?  Hand-type it? I have hundreds, thousands of records.  I was hoping I could just script a GP tool to add one related record for each feature. And thus it would auto-populate GUID to childGUID and I could join to bring in data fields.  Sigh. Of course that's not a thing. We can't even add a record to a table with a GP tool, like Add Field.

3) deleting related parent feature (a point for example) shouldn't set child Guid foreign keys to null. If you know you know. There's threads about this but end of the day, this needs to be more elegant by default. 

4) another 'related' issue with relates, is the GlobalID changes when you upload/download data to AGOL. I am aware of preserve GUID (another option that should be on by default, like Maintain Attachments, like unique numeric IDs for services for layers)

5) another sidenote, attachments don't work when you copy and paste into a hosted feature layer.  Not with Append and maintain attachments enabled. Not from the Item page with Append or with Pro.  Found that out with another project but wanted to warn others using hosted feature layers for inspections.  I generally try to keep everything on-prem to avoid issues like this.

These all tie in to inspections workflows.  For damage assessment alone for example, we need bulk related data editing. And utilities inspections, etc.  Park example above is also great.  I'd love to see a platform focus in 2024 on related data.  (relates don't work in New Map Viewer or ExB either, would be great. For now I only use Classic/WebApp Builder as they are more powerful and easier to develop and use for end users)