Select to view content in your preferred language

Add palette support in Map Viewer symbolization options

10-29-2023 08:59 AM
Mike_Koutnik
Regular Contributor

I spend quite a bit of time selecting and fine-tuning symbolization options for layers in web maps. The palette color picker in the "classic" Map Viewer saves me gobs of time. A color I pick there, often with transparency adjustments. That makes it quick and simple to set an appropriate color. But a BIG side benefit is that this approach allows me to assure that a color I use in one map or app can easily and quickly and confidently be "reused" to provide consistent color use across use cases. It thus sets up the ability to "enforce" standards for a set of maps and apps. When I go to a new map with a layer that I want to "reuse" a color, I can go to the palette and quickly pick, say, the magenta in the 3rd row in the last column. Choosing from the palette also sets--and continually reinforces--a spatial and visual "muscle memory" for often-used colors. Overall, this leads to clarity for users of your information products.

With the new Map Viewer, you are faced with having to always use slider bars, or remember and type in hexadecimal codes, constantly referring back to another map or layer to make sure you have the color right. It's tedious and frustrating. Picking from a palette is SO much easier, faster and repeatable. PLEASE add the palette to the new Map Viewer. Thanks.

2 Comments
RussRoberts

We do have plans to add this to the Map Viewer. In the Map Viewer today you also have the ability to save colors you want to continually use. Have you used this for these common colors you continually use?

TracyScopel

I found this post when I did a search for how to find the color palette in Map Viewer. I thought I was missing something obvious. I see that you have the ability to save colors that you use, but that is not helpful when you are initially trying to apply a color--in my case a basic brown, which is not on the slider, so I need to start from scratch and find a hex code in Pro.