Publish image/raster data

09-05-2013 06:09 AM
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
What I want to do is to programmatically publish image data to an organizational account within AGOL.

I understand that AGOL only supports hosting image data in the form of tiled map services.

What I have is a set of images for which I wish to generated a tiled map service.

One problem that I have is that the customer which is publishing the data does not have ArcMap or ArcGIS Server.  Essentially this is a case where the customer wants to use AGOL as a cloud platform for mapping services.

I think that I need to package the images in a service definition file, upload the service definition, and then ask AGOL to Publish the tiled map service.

Can I generate the SD file outside of ArcMap and if so then how?  I am happy to write the software needed to create the SD file.  Is the format documented somewhere?

When I generated a SD file from within ArcMap the resulting zip file contained the raster data as well as an MXD and MSD file which I do not know how to programmatically generate.

One alternative to the above is to generate a tile package myself but I suspect that I need ArcMap or ArcGIS Server to do that.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AllanLaframboise
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Allan,

Thanks for the reply.  I freely admit that I am new to AGOL so please let me know if I am missing the obvious.

Are you saying that you support image services which are hosted by AGOL?  I thought that this was only possible outside the context of AGOL where one deploys ArcGIS Server.
0 Kudos