Configure ArcGIS Online Popup with URL to local server files

Jump to solution
12-02-2015 05:12 PM
EugeneDurshpek
New Contributor III

I have a GIS layer with an attribute that stores a path (i.e. \\vancouver.root.local\...) to video and photo media files that are stored on a local server. We are not interested in making these media files accessible to public via world wide web. However, I would like to make these accessible to those who are connected to our network. I'm trying to make them accessible via an ArcGIS Online web map.

I am using the custom popup configuration where I'm configuring the URL. I'm not sure whether or not this is something that can be done successfully.

For this example, my field name that contains the path to the media is called {Video}. The data in there is formatted \\vancouver.root.local\...

I've tried various iterations of file:///{Video}, <a href="file:///"{Video}>Link 1</a>, <a href="file:///{Video}">Link 1</a> just {Video} and nothing seems to work.

Has anyone tried this with success? I'm assuming there are some limitations due to security. Also, do I have to set up my media server as IIS?

I haven't been able to find any discussions that talk about my specific issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Eugene D.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eugene,

Use of local file paths is problematic in most web development environments (JS, Flex, SL).  Your best solution is to create a virtual directory in IIS to the network share path. Creating a virtual directory does not mean that you have to expose the resources to the public via www. it just means that you would have a true URL to use in your popups. I have several virtual directories that are internal only (even if the public got the url some how, it would fail to resolve for them). As far as the need to setting up a media server, I would say no depending on the desired end user interaction with the file. I personally use windows media encoder to allow for streaming of a video file without having a media server.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eugene,

Use of local file paths is problematic in most web development environments (JS, Flex, SL).  Your best solution is to create a virtual directory in IIS to the network share path. Creating a virtual directory does not mean that you have to expose the resources to the public via www. it just means that you would have a true URL to use in your popups. I have several virtual directories that are internal only (even if the public got the url some how, it would fail to resolve for them). As far as the need to setting up a media server, I would say no depending on the desired end user interaction with the file. I personally use windows media encoder to allow for streaming of a video file without having a media server.

ChristinaHoddinott1
Occasional Contributor

I see this post was from a long time ago, but I have a few questions about the virtual directory. 

Our ultimate goal is to be able to click a link in an attribute table of a feature in AGOL and take it to a file folder on our server. We want various staff using different devices to have access. Our IT team has set up a virtual directory to be able to link to the files.

They just asked me which ports need to be opened. They are assuming ports 80 and 443, but I have absolutely no idea what this even means or if it's correct. Do you know if those are the correct ports supported by Esri?

And do you have any resources for securing it so that not everyone can have access?

Thanks!

LisaCasey
New Contributor III

Hello - I also have this question - Thanks!

0 Kudos
ChristinaHoddinott1
Occasional Contributor

We got it working smoothly. I believe ports 80 and 443 were correct. And our IT department handled the security so that only members of our organization can open the links using their organization credentials. 

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Christina:

Does your secure solution require that your organization members need to log into the application or do they have Windows Active Directory credentials that allow them to seamlessly access the files in the virtual directory without having to provide credentials again, once they are logged into their devices?

0 Kudos