ArcGIS Online Vector Tile Service not caching attributes

12-07-2021 10:55 AM
ChrisLowrie1
New Contributor II

I'm trying to host Vector Tiles for a large, global point dataset (~35 million records).  The data has one attribute, a float.  The intention is to host the tiles for consumption in a MapboxGL application.

AGOL isn't building the vector tiles with this attribute, after enabling it.  I have enabled the attributes checkbox in 'Settings', and the tile cache was rebuilt, however the attribute is not part of the tile layer when tested in my application.  Currently AGOL shows the attribute as enabled.

Is this perhaps a problem with large datasets?  Or is there anything else I can do to force, or at least debug, the tile cache build process?  

(Note that I could try Mapbox Vector Tile Service next, but since my organization already uses Arc it would be best to do this through AGOL) 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Chris,

Could you add another field as a "text" and calculate the new field with values from the float field and then rebuild the cache to see if that works?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ChrisLowrie1
New Contributor II

I can give that a try.  Do you have a theory as to why text would work but float would not?

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Just a hunch.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ChrisLowrie1
New Contributor II

Unfortunately this doesn't appear to change the tile properties.  Attributes are still shown as present in the AGOL portal, but are not present on the tiles in a client, including when converted to text.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Good Morning Chris,

Did you rebuild the tile cache?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ChrisLowrie1
New Contributor II

I did, still no success.

I'm working under the assumption (perhaps incorrectly) that this is a large dataset problem, and there is some limit at which the server is failing.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Did you check server logs?  I have a hard time believing that your server couldn't handle it.... what are the specs?  Do they line up with the requirements for this workflow?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ErikMartin
Occasional Contributor

Have you had any success figuring this out?  I have a vector tile service that I had previously published,  enabled attributes, and rebuilt the cache.  I had been successfully using this in a web app for data-driven attributes.  I recently updated the vector tile, rebuilt the cache, abut now the attributes are not included in the vector tile service.  I have tried overwriting the old service, publishing a new service with a different name, creating a new .aprx project and publishing from that, all to no avail. 

My data is not particularly large (continental US, 11k records), and I had previously published and enabled attributes with success.

-Erik  

0 Kudos
ChrisLowrie1
New Contributor II

I haven't been able to make it work. 

In my case I was only trying to symbolize based on 6-10 categories, so I had a workaround.  I split the vector layer on the categorical attribute, then consume and style all the splits separately in the client.  It's not very clean, but it's functional.

0 Kudos