Appropriate URL for sharing Notebook outside of organization?

Jump to solution
05-22-2020 11:45 AM
Labels (1)
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

I would like to be able to provide a link to a Notebook in an email or blog post that will permit an ArcGIS Online user outside of my organization to directly run the Notebook. (This is assuming I have shared the Notebook with Everyone, and that they have the appropriate privileges to run Notebooks in their own ArcGIS Online organization.)

Let's say I've set the sharing on a Notebook to Everyone. If I email someone the URL for the Item Details page for the Notebook (e.g., https://umich.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=4387d037ff904112963283f9a72e114a), then the only available option for them is the "Download" button. So it appears to the recipient that they have to first download the Notebook to their computer, and then re-upload it their ArcGIS Online organization, before they can use the Notebook.

If instead they search for the Notebook in ArcGIS Online (remembering to toggle off limiting the search to their own organization), then when they click on it in the search results, they are taken to an Item Details view that includes the "Open Notebook (Beta)" button. This enables them to get right to running the Notebook I have shared.

Is there a URL pattern to follow whereby one can construct a Notebook link that will produce the latter behavior -- the user being able to click on the link and then immediately run the Notebook -- avoiding the download/upload confusion?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the additional info Joshua Cullen . Look forward to hearing what the ArcGIS Online teams thinks.

In the meantime, it sounds like the answer for now is no, there is not a universal sharing URL for an item stored in ArcGIS Online that can be shared to anyone who has access to the item, whether they are in the same org or not.

-peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It allows Me to Open the notebook (Beta) without requiring to download first. I think you are supposed to sign in your own organization before being able to use notebooks.

0 Kudos
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

Interesting. Your experience is not what others have reported.

If you click on the link on this post, doesn't it take you to a page that lives at https://umich.maps..., which is not your ArcGIS Online organization? Therefore, the Open Notebook button is not present, as you do not have permission to run Notebooks in the umich organization.

Did you click on the link in the post, and you were somehow redirected to view the Notebook's Item Details view on your own ArcGIS Online organization instead, so that you have an Open Notebook button? 

If that's the case, I wonder what is different for you than for others? Everyone else has reported that they click on the link in the post and are sent to the umich organization view, wether or not they are already logged into their own organization first.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

When I click the link it opens the umich page with only the download button not signed in (FIGURE 1)

Once I sign in (the top right button) it redirects to your SAML login page (Figure 2) but I click on use an ArcGIS Account so it redirects to my organization with the same notebook item page is shown with extra buttons enabled allowing me to Download or Open the notebook (Beta) (Figure 4).

At this point if I open the notebook I can make changes and run it but I need to Save As to save changes so it makes my own copy (new notebook item) under my org so I can edit it.

I've always seen behaviour like this before with publicly shared items from an organization.

My advise is: try sharing with an org neutral url so everyone would have a similar experience accessing your shared content. 

As an example for your notebook item, the org neutral url would be: https://arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=4387d037ff904112963283f9a72e114a  Note that the url points to the same ArcGIS notebook item (id) but now using arcgis.com url.

0 Kudos
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

That is close, however, an org-neutral URL, using "www.arcgis.com" or "arcgis.com" still takes the user to a page with only the Download button present, even if they are logged into their org in another tab in their browser. The critical piece I am looking for is being able to run the Notebook right away, without the extra login steps, and to avoid the confusion of leading the user to believe they need to download/upload the notebook.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Peter - I do see what you mean, but this is normal practice with all publicly shared items in ArcGIS at the moment (i.e. if I publicly share a feature layer and navigate to it via a org-neutral url while I'm signed in in a different tab, I'll be met with the item details page as if I wasn't signed in to an organisation). I agree with Juliano in that the org-neutral url should be used for now.

To open the notebook the user you've shared the notebook with will either have to manually login, or they can manually prefix the url with their already logged in org - so arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=... would become _orgname_.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=... . I'm afraid for now this process will have to be communicated when sharing to prevent the user from downloading/re-uploading the notebook.

I have passed your feedback onto a member of the team that handles the login experience and will update you with any info that could be helpful.

Thank you for reaching out. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Josh

0 Kudos
PeterKnoop
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the additional info Joshua Cullen . Look forward to hearing what the ArcGIS Online teams thinks.

In the meantime, it sounds like the answer for now is no, there is not a universal sharing URL for an item stored in ArcGIS Online that can be shared to anyone who has access to the item, whether they are in the same org or not.

-peter

0 Kudos