Vehicle Routing - Force use of all routes/depots

07-27-2011 07:03 AM
AmandaWorrell
New Contributor
I am trying to use vehicle routing to distribute environmental inspections amongst all our inspectors.  The vehicle routing problem is only assigning orders to a subset of inspectors, even though this means sometimes not all orders are filled.  Is there a way to force the use of all routes/depots?
Tags (2)
10 Replies
HeatherMoe
Esri Contributor

Hi David,

I see what you are after now.  I think your best bet for capturing the amount of time that they are on the bus is to use the ArriveTime from both orders in the order pair.  This shouldn't take a lot of effort since you are using python code to automate the process and can just as easily get both orders' information as apposed to just one in the pair with the search cursors.  

A thing you might want to look into with the order pairs is the layer property Excess Transit Time.  You have three options (low, medium, and high) for this and depending on what you choose influences how the solver thinks about the time on the vehicle between stops of the pairs.  If your business model is more shared ride van style then the default of Medium is probably good, but if you are wanting to minimize the extra time someone is on the bus then you might consider setting that to High.  

Heather Moe

0 Kudos