Trouble with Route Finding using ArcGIS 10.2

01-14-2015 08:51 PM
DevinSmith1
New Contributor

I am trying to create a route between 9 points scattered throughout the U.S. using the Find Route tool.  I am able to achieve success when I limit my search to just 6 of the stops.  If I attempt any more the server times out and I get one of two error messages: 'Proxy server got bad address from remote server (verify the server is running)." or "Server took to long to answer, client timed out"  I have tried to trouble shoot this issue but I cannot seem to work it out.  I am using the North American Routing Service and for an address locator I am using World Geocode Service (ArcGIS online) for the address locator (it is the only one available other than the (MGRS)  I am using the OpenStreetMap base map layer which I acquired under the Add data Drop down menu / BaseMaps.  If anyone has any solution to this problem it would be much appreciated.

Devin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DeeleshMandloi
Esri Contributor

Hi Devin,

The North American Routing Service only supports execution time of 60 seconds. So it is possible that with 9 stops the service takes more than 60 seconds to find a route and times out. If possible can you send the input stops as well as other settings you are specifying in the Find Routes tool?

On a related note, the North American Routing Service has been deprecated and instead ArcGIS Online now provides a World Routing Service that is updated on a regular basis and supports advanced capabilities like routing using live traffic. You can access this service from the Find Routes tool if you first sign in to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap using your ArcGIS Online Organization Subscription.

If you have an Organization Subscription (comes included with your ArcGIS Desktop license), it will be worth trying to see if the new service can find a route with all the nine stops. Some additional information on how to use the World Routing Service using ArcMap can be found in the ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
DevinSmith1
New Contributor

Hi Deleesh,

Firstly, thankyou for your reply.  So I followed the instructions to log in to utilize the ready to use services, but I suspect that I do not have the appropriate license.  I am a grad student and I am using the routing service for an assignment and I have a student license, so this service is not available to me.  According to the help documents, once I sign in, some services should  be made visible under the ready to use services folder in the catalog window.  This did not occur nor did the availability of the world routing service in the routing tool dialog box . 

0 Kudos
DeeleshMandloi
Esri Contributor

Hi Devin,

It seems like you only have an ArcGIS public account and not an Organization account. I am not sure if your university provides you access to an ArcGIS Organization account. If not, you can sign up for a free 30 day trial of ArcGIS.com. When you sign up for a trial, you can create a new arcgis.com account that will provide you access to World Routing Service for 30 days. The trial account also gives you 200 service credits. So that means you should be able to generate 5000 routes during the trial peroid.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos