Simple routing with many:many sources

Jump to solution
01-31-2014 10:09 AM
JoePrimicias
New Contributor II
I have a table with From- and To- addresses. Let's say there are 10,000 records in the table and each record has to be a different route. These addresses have already been geocoded. I tried network analyst and linear referencing but with no success. I have access to StreetMaps Premium 2013 but have no idea how to utilize it in this scenario.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
I think you should try using the Route solver with the Routename property rather than the VRP solver. It is easier to set up, that is two load locations on the data you already have set up and it is ready to solve.

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I have a table with From- and To- addresses. Let's say there are 10,000 records in the table and each record has to be a different route. These addresses have already been geocoded. I tried network analyst and linear referencing but with no success. I have access to StreetMaps Premium 2013 but have no idea how to utilize it in this scenario.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Network Analyst is the only tool that can even begin to do this that I know of.  Did you set up a Network with real connectivity?  What did you attempt to do with Network Analyst and what was the result?  The Network Analyst forum may be a better place to post this question, since only people who use that extension will have experience that can help you.  (I don't use it, since I don't need to solve these kinds of problems, but I know it is the only real way to deal with these kinds of problems).
0 Kudos
JoePrimicias
New Contributor II
Thanks Richard, I'll post this question in the NA forum.
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
I'm sorry, Joe. I moved this thread here before I realized that you'd already reposted the question here.

Melita
0 Kudos
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III
Do you have lat/long of each location? or are you able to plot them on a map ? If yes, you must first separate from and to. Make a table/shapefile/feature class of from locations and another table/shapefile/ feature class of to location. Then you can use NA. If you want route displayed on the map, you have a long task at hand. If you just want to get attributes of routes, you can use OD matrix.

If you could state your end purpose more clearly, the group can give you more options.
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Use the Routename property to solve for routes between pairs of points.
See http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/12128-add-origin-amp-destination-locations-from-the-same-row-to-a-r...

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
JoePrimicias
New Contributor II
Actually, I geocoded the From-addresses to a feature class named Origin_1 and To-addresses to a feature class named Dest_1. I'm using the Vehicle Routing Problem solver in NA, created a field called RouteID with unique numbers to match the ObjectID in the Origin_1 table, and did the same for the Dest_1 table. So far I've loaded the Depots using Origin_1 and before I load the Orders with Dest_1, I need to Add Item in Routes. That where the problem lies. Since I have to Add Item 10,000 times, I'd like to automate this process.

I did a sample set of 20 records manually and it worked great. Is it possible to Add 10,000 Items automatically?
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
I think you should try using the Route solver with the Routename property rather than the VRP solver. It is easier to set up, that is two load locations on the data you already have set up and it is ready to solve.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
JoePrimicias
New Contributor II
You're right, Jay! I tried the Route solver and it was much easier.
Thank you.

Joe
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Joe and anyone else reading this thread who might be doing similar workflows.

Esri’s Network Analyst Team is doing some research about customer workflows involving solving routes or calculating travel times and distances between known or preassigned pairs of origins and destinations.  It sounds like that's what you're doing here!  We’d like to better understand our customers’ needs in this area and may use this information to design and develop improved tools and workflows.

If you have a few minutes and are willing, could you please fill out the attached survey and return it to the e-mail address included inside the document?  Alternatively, you can reach out to me (my e-mail address is in the document) to set up a meeting.

Thank you so much!!

0 Kudos