Service area generation with OSM shapefile

05-16-2017 06:42 PM
JavadRouzafzoon
New Contributor II

Hello,

I need to create a network dataset for generating service areas based on Kilometres and Travel time.

I am using ArcMap10.5, Educational licence. I have downloaded two shapefiles for two countries from 

GEOFABRIK // Downloads 

Then, I used Merge tool and output was a feature class. So, I exported it to Single shapefile. I created a network dataset and for "Length" attribute, I chose "Shape" as "Value" in "Elevators" window.

When I create service areas, they are not correctly generated.

Do I have to do anything with the shapefile before creating network datasets? 

Thank you!

14 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

show an image of the result.  It may not be what you expect... or did you get an error?

JavadRouzafzoon
New Contributor II

Hi,

Here are images of the creation process and result.

As it can be seen, I chose to have three 50, 100, and 150 Km service areas, but only one very small service area is created.

Also, if I choose the location by search tab instead of " Add Network Locations" button, no polygon even is created.Generated Network DatasetDefining Service areasService area result

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

...but only one very small service area is created...

Try this:  create a route interactively by adding a stop point at one of you preferred locations, and another at a spot outside the service area shown.  If the route does not solve, get ready for some major editing in your source data.  If it does solve, your set up is the problem.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JavadRouzafzoon
New Contributor II

Data is directly from OpenStreetMap, Is there any modification in OpenStreetMap shapefile required before using it in Network Analyst?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Did the suggested test work?

Any file used for network analysis really needs to be cleaned up for this purpose.  I am sure if it has worked for others, then it is probably pretty good.  If the suggested test passes, then there is something wrong with your parameters used to set up the network.  If it fails, then the network file has 'issues'.  Do the test before worrying about anything else.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Try using this tool to clean up the OSM data prior to turning it into a network dataset.

ArcGIS Editor for OpenStreetMap | Overview 

JavadRouzafzoon
New Contributor II

Hi Melinda,

I tried to install the tool, but unfortunately, I got this error when opening ArcMap.

"Could not open the specified file "

I googled it, I could not find a solid solution.

0 Kudos
JavadRouzafzoon
New Contributor II

I tried the test. 

The route does not solve.

How can I correct the data? 

Is there any other open route source data available?

Should I try with other file types from the OpenStreetMap?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Then there is a big break in the network and/or other possible errors during the build process

0 Kudos