Same solution maximize coverage / minimize impedanace

02-01-2017 05:55 AM
ReBl
by
New Contributor

Hello there,

I am working on optimizing the locations of bike sharing rental stations. There are three scenarios 15,25 and 35 Stations with an impedance of 250 meters in the area of research. 

Currently I am facing the issue, that "maximize coverage" and "minimize impedance" lead to the exact same solution. From what I understand there should not be the same solution. Could you please clarify in which circumstances the solution would be different ?

Thank you in advance

Rebl

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The scenarios are described here.  Do you find them in conflict in their descriptions?

Location-allocation analysis—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
ReBl
by
New Contributor

Hey Dan,

no I know that is no conflict in getting the same solution, but as I was reading through some papers about location alocation I came across some studies which get different solutions for these two modes and I would like to know, what are the requirements of p Median and MCLP to deliever different solutions, because I would like to compare the solutions, which is senseless unless they are diffrent from each other.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The situation I can think of where they are equal is when a simple network is being used with no restrictions other than network edge lengths so their is minimal impedance (just distance) which means there is nothing to restrict coverage either.  How is your network set up?

0 Kudos