Roadway Distance to a SPECIFIC location

10-10-2013 12:13 PM
LindseyWinn1
New Contributor
Hi,

I need to find the roadway distance to a specific location (not closest) for a large number of lat/longs (example: child's home to their school (not nearest school). So it's basically a one-to-one match up. I have lat/longs for both. Any thoughts on how to do this? Would the closest facility somehow work? Thank you in advance!

Lindsey
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
LindseyWinn1
New Contributor
Thank you! Should I use the Closest Facility Tool? How do I set it up so it calculates a one-to-one roadway distance as opposed to it taking Point A and finding whichever point in the second dataset is the closest? Does this make sense?
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
There are a couple of ways to do this:
1. Use closest facility solver. Select all the students that go to the same school. Load these student locations as Incidents and that one school as the facility and now solve for 1 closest. This will give you the path/distance for that set. Repeat for the next school.

2. Use the route solver. You have to set up your data such that each student and their school is a pair of points you will load into the route solver with a common ROUTENAME id. In this way you can load all students and their school as start/end pairs and solving this will give you distances for each point pair. You can search the forums for ROUTENAME and see more on how to set that up.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
LindseyWinn1
New Contributor
That worked perfectly - thank you!
0 Kudos