Rebuilding Network Dataset

Jump to solution
04-09-2013 04:31 PM
JustinHunter
New Contributor III
Hey all,

I'm just learning how to make edits on network datasets. We have a third-party data provider but when I find errors, instead of waiting n months for it to be fixed I'd like to fix it on my own. What I'm having problems with is changing the ONEWAY from "FT" to "TF" - when I make that modification the network does not rebuild because it does not know any changes have been made.

Can someone explain why this happens and how I can fix this?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor
If you want to force your network to be unbuilt, add a network attribute, then delete it.  That will make the whole network "dirty" and build will do a full rebuild.

And for Robert, geometric networks are not involved in Network Analyst, which is the subject of this forum.  Geometric networks are part of core geodatabase.  Questions and answers about that type of network are in the geodatabase forums here.  Sorry for any confusion.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
I believe in order to change these values you must delete the geometric network. Make your changes and then rebuild the network with the new weights.

Of course always practice on a copy first when dealing with the deletion of GMN's.

Always compress your database BEFORE deleting a network.  I do it 2 or 3 times just to make sure.  Compress it again after deleting.

Hey all,

I'm just learning how to make edits on network datasets. We have a third-party data provider but when I find errors, instead of waiting n months for it to be fixed I'd like to fix it on my own. What I'm having problems with is changing the ONEWAY from "FT" to "TF" - when I make that modification the network does not rebuild because it does not know any changes have been made.

Can someone explain why this happens and how I can fix this?
0 Kudos
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor
If you want to force your network to be unbuilt, add a network attribute, then delete it.  That will make the whole network "dirty" and build will do a full rebuild.

And for Robert, geometric networks are not involved in Network Analyst, which is the subject of this forum.  Geometric networks are part of core geodatabase.  Questions and answers about that type of network are in the geodatabase forums here.  Sorry for any confusion.