OD Cost Matrix , Actual Route

07-30-2020 04:33 PM
MuhammadRamzan
New Contributor II

I have made a Multimodal network analysis consisting of Maritime_Routes, World_Railroads, and World_roads as a mode of transportation.

I have applied the OD cost matrix and that works fine. I have to find out how many countries the route between the two cities is passing.

I have applied the OD cost matrix, calculates the distance and draw a straight line, rather than the ACTUAL ROUTE.

Thanks 

0 Kudos
22 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Although the OD Cost Matrix tool shows straight lines connecting origins and destinations, the it calculates the network distance or travel time and reports those values in the output table.  The straight lines are intended only for visualization, like a spider diagram.

If you need to use the output of a network analysis to determine which countries the route goes through, you cannot use the OD Cost Matrix tool.  OD Cost Matrix only reports the travel time or distance and not the actual route.

You should instead use either the Route solver or the Closest Facility solver, depending on the way your problem is set up.

MuhammadRamzan
New Contributor II

Can I apply the   Route solver or the Closest Facility solver on the same Network data set? or if I have to set up a new network data set. 

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, all of the Network Analyst solvers can work with the same network dataset.

0 Kudos
MuhammadRamzan
New Contributor II

I have tried but Closest Facility solver is not working. I need the distance from each origin to eash the destination. 

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Did you get an error message?  An incorrect result?  If you give me some details, I might be able to help.

0 Kudos
MuhammadRamzan
New Contributor II

No error message.

I need the distance(and actual shapefile) from each origin to the destination city. whereas in only pairs origin city with only one destination city. whereas I need to pair each origin city with each destination city.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

You can set the number of facilities to find to some number >= the number of cities you have.  Then you will get a route from each city to each other city.

0 Kudos
MuhammadRamzan
New Contributor II

How please 

0 Kudos
MuhammadRamzan
New Contributor II

where I can find or set this option.

0 Kudos