Network Dataset Help

09-14-2016 11:47 AM
CadAssistant_3
New Contributor II

I am working on a network dataset for my campus. I have loaded all the locations as "stops" but I've been trying to figure out how I can find routes between two Stops, given that I have about 90 something of them. Thank you. am working on a network dataset for my campus. I have loaded all the locations as "stops" but I've been trying to figure out how I can find routes between two Stops, given that I have about 90 something of them. Thank you.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what is the purpose?  Given your dataset, I don't think you really want or need the route or travel time between all of them ... for example stop 8 and 9 ...

0 Kudos
CadAssistant_3
New Contributor II

I am just trying to find the shortest distance route between two different stops. I guess my question would be, when I want ArcMap to solve from which two points I want a route from how do i specifically tell ArcMap for example, I want to get from from stop 8 to stop 17?

0 Kudos
CadAssistant_3
New Contributor II

Yes that is correct from C_Path. I am also looking for shortest distance, not dealing with time just yet. I know how to manually place down to different stops and then "solve" for a shortest distance route, but now that I have loaded about 90 stops how can I choose which two stops I want a route for. As an example, I want to tell ArcMap to get me a route from stop 9 to stop 23.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

but now that I have loaded about 90 stops how can I choose which two stops I want a route for. As an example, I want to tell ArcMap to get me a route from stop 9 to stop 23.

Add your stops feature class to your ArcMap session.  Select the two you wish to analyze.  In the Network Analyst Route Window Pane, right click on Stops and Load Locations.  Just be sure to check the Select Features option.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
CadAssistant_3
New Contributor II

Ok so if I am understanding correctly, I can not load my stops feature class into "Stops" in the network analyst and then choose different stop locations I want a route created for?

0 Kudos
CadAssistant_3
New Contributor II

If you refer to the image I attached to this thread it shows my stops feature class called (building entrances) loaded as Stops in the network analyst.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

did you select with the available stops?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm guessing the C_Path_Routing (edges) are the Network feature dataset edges built from the C_Path, correct?  What are you trying to optimize in your routing solutions?  Is it Time?  Is it Distance? Your edges need to be attributed in such a fashion that they can provide you with the solution you are looking for.  As an example, if you are trying to find a route that minimizes travel time between stops can you calculate that with the data you have?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos