Network Analyst - Service Area polygon holes

07-01-2010 09:51 AM
AaronBaumgarden
New Contributor III
Hello all,

I hope this doesn't seem too trivial but I am relatively new to Network Analyst.  The reason for my post is that I am having issues with holes appearing in the service area polygons near a facility that seems like it would be within the "actual" service area.  I have attached a photo to show what I am talking about.

Is there a way to fix this and/or why am I seeing these holes?

Thanks,

Aaron
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Do you have multiple sources making up the network dataset? e.g. streets, bus line, rail, etc such that some source is not getting traversed and leaves a hole. If you have multiple sources, then on the SA properties, polygon tab, you have turn off or exclude sources such that they do not influence the polygon generation. You could also switch to "generalized" and not detailed polygon and it should not leave any holes. You could also turn on Line generation to see if there are any lines (especially some line ends) not getting traversed that would cause a hole to be generated.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
ChristopherBlinn1
Occasional Contributor III
I know it has been some time since the last post but I too am having holes appear in my service areas.  Each hole has a street that is not getting traversed.  I am a newbie with network analysis when it comes to correcting these issues.  Can anyone point me in the right direction on this? any help appreciated!
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Holes basically means their are edges that are not being traversed within the given break value. Normally you will get holes when you choose the Detailed method. With the Generalized method the number of holes should be minimized or non-existant. If you want the see how far the edges were traversed then turn on the line generation for the service area and the lines will also be generalized.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos