Network Analyst Flip Line direction by Order Sequence

04-16-2018 08:06 AM
DevinUnderwood3
New Contributor III

I want to flip all route lines according to the orders sequence numbers.

I would then show arrows with the correct direction of travel.

I tried using the Sort tool to resort records according to the sequence number.  I must be mistaken that it does not resort/flip the lines and direction.

Is there a possible way to accomplish what I am attempting to do ?

Thank You.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

Correct, it is a single feature class that I want to be split into each road segment to display the directionality of the route.

This isn't the case, when I split the route it inherits the directionality of digitized lines.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

I am not sure how a "split" of an existing line will flip parts of that line into different directions.

But, you may want to try using the Copy Traversed Source Features tool right after you solve the NA layer. It will generate all the edges that were traversed by that route and each line should be pointing into the way it was traversed by the route.

Copy Traversed Source Features—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Jay Sandhu

DevinUnderwood2
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, it worked.

I also set the symbology to an offset so both sides of the road is showing the travel route path with arrows.

Now, I want to show route segments that do not have orders as a different grey color for example, denoting that it isn't an actual order segment.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Glad that worked.

Generally speaking, in the output Edges feature class (output of the Copy Traversed tool), any edge that had an order will be split at the order. So one of it's FromPosition or ToPosition will not be 0 or 1. You could select all those edges where the FromPosition is 0 and ToPosition is 1 OR FromPosition is 1 and ToPosition is 0. These will be edges with no orders and you can symbolize differently.

Or you could do a spatial selection of all the Edges with the orders (within a small spatial tolerance) and then reverse the selection.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos