Network Analyst: Creating a Network Dataset

06-17-2010 10:57 AM
BarbieMoreland
New Contributor
I have only dealt with Network Analyst once or twice.  My goal is to create a shortest distance analysis between 2 points by road.  I am using the street network from the CD provided by ESRI.  My Network Analyst extension is active and I have an updated Geodatabase version.  I have created a file geodatabase with the feature classes I need.  When i right click on the Feature Dataset, the New Network Dataset option is grayed out.  I have also done the same thing with shapefiles and get the same result.  How do I get the New Network Dataset wizard started up?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
If you are using the street network (SDC) from ESRI, you do not have to create a network dataset from it. It is ready to use with Network Analyst. Simply bring up the Add dialog, browse to the location of the SDC data folder and add the "streets" network to ArcMap. You should be able to route on it.

As far as why the create network dataset is grayed out, make sure that in ArcCatalog (and also later in ArcMap), click on the Tools menu and choose Extensions and make sure the Network Analyst is checked on.

Regards,

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
BillWinston
New Contributor III
Jay,

Sorry to butt in but I am not able to add the streets network to my ArcMap session.  I am running ArcInfo 10 with the Network Analyst extension enabled.  When I try to add that dataset I get an "Open Failed", "Error opening network dataset" message.  I am using the dataset distributed with ArcGIS 10 and downloaded the 3 file set from ESRI.  I verified that the checksums for those files were all accurate and then moved the files into their final locations according to the readme instructions.  Am I missing something here?

Thanks!
Bill

If you are using the street network (SDC) from ESRI, you do not have to create a network dataset from it. It is ready to use with Network Analyst. Simply bring up the Add dialog, browse to the location of the SDC data folder and add the "streets" network to ArcMap. You should be able to route on it.

As far as why the create network dataset is grayed out, make sure that in ArcCatalog (and also later in ArcMap), click on the Tools menu and choose Extensions and make sure the Network Analyst is checked on.

Regards,

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
CaseRobertson
New Contributor
I am getting the same thing.  Does anybody know how to add the streets network?
Thanks,
Case
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Another user was having a simillar problem and solved it by moving the data around.
Take a look at the following post and see if that solves your problem:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/15722-ESRI-StreetMap-network-dataset-error

Regards,
Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos