Network analyst: Added cost from line shapefile

Jump to solution
11-12-2014 03:40 AM
JohnPritchard
New Contributor

I have a network dataset (a road network), and require a matrix of Cost Distances between many points, which works well.

I have now added a line shapefile (representing rail lines). I wish to use it to add cost when a rail line is crossed.

But of course as a line shapefile I am only offered the chance of restriction or scaled cost - but I wish to add a certain value when the rail line is crossed. I think maybe I need to use the 'calculate locations' toolbox to locate the polyline (rail line) on the network?

Any advice gratefully received.

I am using Arcmap 10.1 (advanced license).

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor

Hi, John!  I don't think polyline barriers are quite what you are looking for.

If your goal is to add a cost at crossing, your best bet is probably to use additive point barriers.  Use the Intersect geoprocessing tool to output points where your lines cross.  Then, add those points in to your analysis as point barriers.  Give them the cost you want added to the routes when they are driven across.

The problem with polylines is that they only scale (multiply). They are not additive.   Your polyline barrier would have to travel along the road for some distance for multiplication to have any affect. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PatrickStevens
Esri Contributor

Hi, John!  I don't think polyline barriers are quite what you are looking for.

If your goal is to add a cost at crossing, your best bet is probably to use additive point barriers.  Use the Intersect geoprocessing tool to output points where your lines cross.  Then, add those points in to your analysis as point barriers.  Give them the cost you want added to the routes when they are driven across.

The problem with polylines is that they only scale (multiply). They are not additive.   Your polyline barrier would have to travel along the road for some distance for multiplication to have any affect. 

JohnPritchard
New Contributor

Hi Patrick

Many thanks for your speedy reply - ahh, I see, that sounds the right way, I will try that.

Many thanks

John

0 Kudos
JohnPritchard
New Contributor

Hi again Patrick

Just to confirm that works well, many thanks again

John

0 Kudos