NA routing - generate loop at specified distance

10-21-2015 06:49 AM
ChristopherGraff
New Contributor III

Case: I want to generate a 5k run from my front door. The route would be a loop to end where I began.

Any ideas? I'd like to use our existing street network (we've got it optimized for pedestrian/bicycle traffic). I want to specify a start location and end location (although majority of time they'll be one in the same). And I want to specify a distance. Then poof, NA would return a route from start to end points as close to the specified distance as possible.

Is this possible? Any ideas on how to tackle it?

thanks,

-chris

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Adding ESRI Network Analyst Expert Melinda Morang in case she has ideas.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chris.  Unfortunately, the Network Analyst Route solver simply isn't designed to solve this problem.  The Route solver uses algorithms that are meant to optimize travel through the network: to find the fastest or shortest route from one place to another.  Finding the best "scenic route" for running or cycling is a very different problem, and NA Route isn't really the right tool for that job.

ChristopherGraff
New Contributor III

So my follow up would be: if NA isn't the right product, is there an off-the-shelf esri product more suited? Else am I totally on my own?

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Sadly, no, we don't have an Esri product that does this.  We might have a partner company that provides such a solution.  I suppose it depends on what your goal is.  Are you just trying to calculate this for yourself or some analysis project, or are you trying to build an app using Esri technology?

0 Kudos