Multiple Routes to one destination

11-15-2011 06:44 PM
CamW
by
New Contributor II
Hi

I have multiple address that need routes to end at one location. I need one route going from Point A to B (B= End Location) , a route going from Point C to B, Point D to B, etc. I have used the "new route" option in network analysis, is there a way to have multiple routes under the "new route" option. There are no time variables in this dataset. It will only allow me to do one route at a time.

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Use the Closest Facility instead of the Route solver. Load all your destinations as Facilities and your start location as an Incident. Bring up the properties of the layer and on the Analysis tab set the number of facilities to find equal to your destinations and solve. You will get N routes. More info here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Closest_facility_analysis/00470000004n...

Jay Sandhu
MichaelRice
New Contributor III
Since your case is special, in that you have only a single destination but many possible origins, I would suggest loading your many origins as Facilities and your single destination as Incidents. Then set your travel direction in the Closest Facility solver to be "travel from facility to incident".

The reason for this suggestion is that the Closest Facility solver always performs a unique search from each incident until either the target number of facilities is found, or until the cutoff is reached. Even in cases where you have specified that the travel direction should be from facility to incident, the search is still done from each incident (for these cases, the solver just searches in the backward travel direction along each edge instead of in the forward direction, thus achieving the desired travel direction).

Therefore, if you load your N origins as incidents and your single destination as a facility (with travel direction = from incident to facility), then this results in N unique searches, one for each of your many origins. If you instead load your single destination as an incident and your N origins as facilities (with travel direction = from facility to incident), then this results in only 1 unique (backward) search from your incident. The resulting output of the final paths are equivalent between these two setups (assuming you are solving for all paths with no limiting target facility count), but since each unique search incurs some additional overhead, it generally pays to go with the approach that results in the fewest number of unique searches.

It�??s a subtle distinction, I know, but it is a crucial one that can significantly impact performance if not properly addressed.
JustinBrown4
New Contributor

Thanks guys! Very helpful.

0 Kudos
LeonKincy
New Contributor II

Hello. I need to determine the distance from a single point to several thousand points, both Euclidean and Manhattan. For Euclidean I have used the Near tool. For the Manhattan distance, instead of using Closest Facility, I created a Make Closest Facility. I did this to avoid credit usage. Can I achieve the same thing using Make Closest Facility? We have StreetMap Premium and its routing layer. Or is there another tool I can use?

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

You can definitely use your local StreetMap premium data and the OD Cost Matrix Solver (will work faster than the Closest Facility if you do not need the actual route geometry returned). However these network analyst solvers return back the shortest path distance. They do not return back Euclidean or Manhattan distances as those are based on the coordinates of the locations and not on the street network.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
LeonKincy
New Contributor II

Hello, Jay. I may have misspoke when I said Manhattan. What I need is the network or routing distance from each of about 2500 destinations to a single origin. What I am getting now when I use OD Cost Matrix or Closest Facility is the distance from the destinations to the network. Perhaps I am inputting information incorrectly.

In other words I need to knw the distance from point A to point B, point A to point C, point A to point D....

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Just to update this thread, Leon was able to successfully solve the OD Cost Matrix Layer and get the distance results he needed.

Jay Sandhu 

0 Kudos