Modeling truck travel on NYC street grid with preference for designated truck routes

05-03-2012 09:53 AM
JeremySafran
New Contributor
Hello everyone,

I've got a network dataset of the street grid of Brooklyn that was clipped from the US TIGER streets file, and have the routing based on travel speed which was calculated by taking distance/speed limit. Turns are modeled. Not sure if one-way streets are, but I'm pretty sure I can make this happen because there is a field for this in the data table.

Importantly, I'm dealing with trucks traveling on the Brooklyn grid, which comes with two considerations- the regular street grid and the grid of designated truck routes (which are written into the NYC legal code).
In NYC, trucks are not supposed to travel for extended periods of time on non-truck routes. In fact, if they're originating from a warehouse on a non-truck route, they're supposed to go as directly as possible to the nearest truck route, remain on the truck route network for as long as possible, and leave only to turn onto the street where the delivery will be made (if it isn't a truck route). I want to model this travel behavior with network analyst.

Here's where I'm at. I already had a shapefile of all the truck routes in brooklyn, so I added all the segments to the route model as line barriers with scaled costs. I imported them somehow, though I don't quite remember how I did it. Currently, they look as they should. They are overlaid on top of the regular networked Brooklyn grid, and come with a .5 time travel bonus. Basically, while traveling on these routes, your travel time is automatically halved. However, when I choose an arbitrary start point (location of warehouse) and an arbitrary end point (location of house being delivered to) and select "Solve Route", it thinks for a bit, and then gives me the error message "Warning: Barrier "Locations 1" in "Line Barriers" has no associated network location information." It gives this same error message in a long list for all segments of truck route (scaled cost line barriers) that were traversed during the trip.

How do I solve the problem? How do I give these truck route segments network location information if they come from a different shapefile than the one used to create the network dataset?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
For line barriers to work, the line geometry has to match exactly. If they do not match, do you have a common attribute/id to help you match the lines from the two sources? If not, then the overall problem of moving attributes from one geometry to another is called "conflation". You will have to search for arcgis based conflation tools on the net to help you do this. The following help on rubber sheeting may be of help as well:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/About_spatial_adjustment_rubbersheetin...

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos