Location - Allocation Line shapes

09-26-2012 01:30 PM
JavierAyala
New Contributor
Hello everybody,

I need some way of getting the actual shape of the network paths when solving a location-allocation analysis. I need those shapes in order to know how many resources are flowing through each edge of the network. With the "straight line" results I cannot know this information.

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi,

I doubt you can get those routes since the only options are straight_lines or no_lines. What you could do, however, is to run the Route or the Closest facility solver (by providing the Closest Facility ID beforehand you will force the demand points get connected to the right ones you've got after running the Location-Allocation solver).
0 Kudos
JavierAyala
New Contributor
Hi Alexey,

Thanks for your answer. The problem with the solution you propose is that the resulting routes of the Closest Facility or Route solvers don't have an attribute that shows how many resources are flowing through them. Do you know any solution for this?

Greetings!
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
As Alexey pointed out, you have to use either the Route or the Closest Facility solver to get the actual paths.
In you case, the "flow" is most likely on the demand points. So after solving the location-allocation problem, the demand points has the Facility ID each demand point is allocated to. Now when you load these locations into a Route or CF layer, you can "map" extra fields. During the load location dialog, there is a "Location Analysis Properties" section with titles of Property, Field and Default value.
You can ADD new fields on the Stops attribute table or the Incidents attribute table and they will show up in the property list and you can map the flow value over.
OR you can do a join of that value after the fact.
Also take a look at the GP tool "Copy traversed source features" in 10.1 that you can run after solving the Route or CF to generate a line feature class with every edge that was traversed by these solvers (if needed).

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
JavierAyala
New Contributor
Dear Alexey and Jay,

I'm not able to do what you recomended me.
I can't find the way of telling the Closest Facility analysis that certain incidents must be associated with certain facilities. There is one possibility of making this in location-allocation with the Group Name property, but that's not possible in Closest Facility.
What am I missing?

Greetings!
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
You need to do this one choosen location at a time. So create a Closest Facility layer, load the first chosen facility from Location-Allocaiton layer as the Incident. Then from the LA layer, select all the demand points allocated to this facility and load as facilities in the CF layer. Solve for all. Export/save the lines. Either remove the incidents/facilities in the layer and repeate the process or create a new CF layer for the next choosen facility.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos