Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it possible to list closest facilities in one field?

Jump to solution
06-14-2024 12:05 PM
claykitchens_fd
New Contributor

Hello!

I performed a closest facilities analysis for 8 locations, but I would like to have those locations listed in order, nearest to farthest, in one field. Is it possible to perform this with ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes. It is possible. Here is one way: Use the Summary Statistics GP tool. The input should be the routes feature class from your Closest Facility layer. Open the route table, and sort ascending on the Facility Rank Column. Then right-click the Facility ID column and bring up the Summary Statistics. Choose the FacilityID as the statistics field and pick Concatenate from the list of statistics type drop down. Then type in a comma in the concatenate separator and run the tool. It will output a new table with a field that has all the FacilityID's separated by comma. See screen shot below.

Jay Sandhu

JaySandhu_0-1718396741030.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes. It is possible. Here is one way: Use the Summary Statistics GP tool. The input should be the routes feature class from your Closest Facility layer. Open the route table, and sort ascending on the Facility Rank Column. Then right-click the Facility ID column and bring up the Summary Statistics. Choose the FacilityID as the statistics field and pick Concatenate from the list of statistics type drop down. Then type in a comma in the concatenate separator and run the tool. It will output a new table with a field that has all the FacilityID's separated by comma. See screen shot below.

Jay Sandhu

JaySandhu_0-1718396741030.png

claykitchens_fd
New Contributor

Thank you, Jay!

One item I failed to include is that I'm trying to perform this action for 15 locations and 397 incidents. I followed the workflow you provided and received the following results.

claykitchens_fd_0-1718891845309.png

How should the workflow be adjusted to accommodate 397 incidents?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
claykitchens_fd
New Contributor

Hi, Jay-

I made a change to the Summary Statistics parameters and I received the desired results.

Summary Statistics Parameters.png

I added IncidentID to the Case Field section and it produced the desired results.

Results.png

Thank you again for taking the time to help!

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

The display only shows a limited amount. You can increase the width of the field display in the UI. But how do you plan to use this information? For example, you can use the GP tool Export table and output to a text file. You can also choose to only export that one field you want like so:

JaySandhu_0-1718897640934.png

Jay

0 Kudos
claykitchens_fd
New Contributor

Thank you for the clarification!

We are using this to build the response sequence for fire station responses. We have 397 response districts and 8 stations (we have 7 additional "stations" loaded into the Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) system. We would like to list the order of the station response for all 15 stations to the 397 response districts. Each response district polygon has been changed to a point using the "Feature to Point" tool so it can be used as an Incident.

0 Kudos
claykitchens_fd
New Contributor

I attempted this workflow again, but I still received the same output.

claykitchens_fd_0-1718985219085.png

claykitchens_fd_1-1718985248415.png

What I hoped I would see is the Incident ID field and the concatenated Facility ID values in another field (ConcatenatedIDs).

Incident ID  |  Concatenated IDs

1  |  2,1,3,5,4,6,10,9,8,11,7,15,13,14,12

2  |  1,3,7,4,10,13,14,2,6,5,9,8,12,11,15

... and this could continue to Incident ID 397.

Thank you so much for your help with this! I hope you will be able to provide a solution with this additional information.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Just an FYI, Mike Price has written numerous articles about fire station response. You can read some of them here: Mike Price, Author at Esri

and

Mapping Current and Proposed Effective Fire Response (esri.com)

Measuring Firefighter Performance with ArcGIS Pro (esri.com)

Regards,

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
claykitchens_fd
New Contributor

Thank you for sharing these!

0 Kudos