Import Attrbutes from Shape to Network Junctions

02-25-2011 04:16 AM
Stefan_Arndt
Esri Contributor
Hi GIS-Community 🙂

I've a little question about importing the attributes of a shapefile to the junctions of a network dataset.

My initial Situation was that I had 2 shapefiles. The first one has many connected polyline segments. The second one consists of point-features with many attributes. The point features are exactly positioned at the connection-point between 2 line-segments. Every Connection between 2 line segments is covered by a point feature.

Now I built up a network dataset of the line-shapefile (with connectivity, turns, but no driving directions). In this network dataset there are (network-) junctions and they are exactly at the same places like the ones of my point-shapefile. But of course they have other attributes.

Now my question is: How can I join or merge the both attribute tables? Finally I want to have the attributes of the shapefile additionally to them of the junctions - but in the network-junction-table!

I already tried the "join" and "relate" function of the "right-click-menu", but then a completely new shapefile was created. The both attribute tables have no comparable row in the attribute table ... i think the only common fact is, that they have the same position/coordinates.

I would be very happy if somebody could help me 🙂

Best regards
Stefan Arndt
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Stefan_Arndt
Esri Contributor
Hey Alan,

thank you for your answer! I think this way would be a good solution. At least when there wouldn`t be a new problem 🙂

After reading the Manual "Designing the network dataset" i tried to follow the steps. By Selecting the Workspace the given hint was that the network dataset should be created in a geodatabase workspace. I tried it without success.

So i read the additional Manual: About turn data migration and preparation. It told me: "Migrate your existing shapefile data to a geodatabase and build a network dataset in that workspace."

But after migrating my shapefiles to the geodatabase (i tried personal geodatabase and file geodatabase) there is no possibility to build the network dataset (see attachment). Outside of the PGDB i have the opportunity to do it...
Even after reading other Tutorials and Forum posts, i dindn't found a solution, but i have the feeling that it's only a very small problem / thinking fault 🙂

Best regards and thanks for answers!
Stefan Arndt
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
As Alan pointed out:
"If you want to manage both the lines and points in your network, you should model this in a network dataset stored in a geodatabase feature dataset."

So you need to create a Feature Dataset inside you geodatabase and then put the streets, etc feature classes inside the feature dataset and then you can create a network dataset on them.

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
Stefan_Arndt
Esri Contributor
So you need to create a Feature Dataset inside you geodatabase and then put the streets, etc feature classes inside the feature dataset and then you can create a network dataset on them.
Jay Sandhu

Hey Jay Sandhu,
thank you for the help! But i think that wasn`t the problem (or not the only one).
In the attached image you can see, that the possibility to create a new network dataset is still missing in the right click menue.

I`m using ArcGIS 10 and the Network Analyst extension is (of course) activated. Outside the PGDB it`s no problem to do this.

Best regards,
Stefan
0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Right-click on the Feature dataset to get the New menu for choosing network dataset.

Take a look at the screen shots at the following Tutorial if in doubt:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Exercise_2_Creating_a_multimodal_netwo...

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos