Find every possible route

07-20-2018 03:21 PM
AustinStreetman
New Contributor III

I have a network of candidate links for a single end to end utility line route. I would like to find every possible route in the network.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AustinStreetman
New Contributor III

Here is a helpful post about using barrier to effect different routes on successive runs.

https://community.esri.com/thread/63897

I am experimenting with creating a point barrier for each link used in a route and setting it's mileage to the original miles * 0.1 as an added cost. The points stack up as a link is used more than once, so the cost keeps increasing. This does yield a nice variety of routes. The same route can get picked more than once, but I can filter those out. I wish I knew how many of these routes to generate before I can feel confident I have found the 10 or 20 shortest routes.  

Without knowing how the routing algorithms work, it seems clear that they can't and shouldn't find every route before they identify the chosen route. So my original question cannot be answered by routing software. I think that an exhaustive list of possible routes is something that sounds useful, but would really just be a very long list of no value.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

From your original post of finding all paths to now finding 10 or 20, it is not clear what you need to achieve. Perhaps if you specify what is your end goal then someone could think of a more appropriate methodology.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
AustinStreetman
New Contributor III

I have been asked to find a way to find all possible routes between a start point and an end point on networks of about 100 links. Many of the links will be one-way links to enforce forward progression.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

In that case, use the internet to search (see my previous post for search hint) for an external algorithm as Network Analyst does not have an all possible paths solver built in. 

Jay Sandhu