Failed to Generate Directions, Error

11-10-2010 09:25 PM
FrankPerks
New Contributor II
So for the last week or so, i have been working on a project, and have been able to generate directions in the past. However now every time i try to generate directions i receive the error

"Failed to Generate directions. Network dataset does not support driving directions."

I did this several times, didn't work:
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=29034

The only thing that seems to work i just nuking my entire network dataset and recreating everything (which i absolutely do not want to do).

I have restarted ArcGIS, repaired ArcGIS, everything seems fine. I am guessing somehow my network dataset has become corrupt?

I am using ArcGIS 10
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
YousefEsmaeili
New Contributor
I have the same problem. did anyone find a solution ?
Regards
0 Kudos
PeterLöfås
New Contributor
Hi all,
I had the same problem with failed to generate directions.

I managed to solve it by changing my regional settings to EN-US on my computer.  There is probably some kind of error in how cultures are handled when generating the directions.
0 Kudos
ReemMahrous
New Contributor
for a network dataset to allow directions, all participating features classes should have a text field
0 Kudos
KristoforCarle
New Contributor
I had the same issue with the ND reporting "Directions: Yes" in ArcGIS 10, but still displaying an error when attempting to open the directions.

Here are the steps that worked for me:

• Configure the directions settings in the ND

• Rebuild the ND

• Close and reopen ArcMap

• Resolve the route

Closing/reopening ArcMap is the main thing I was missing. I guess it doesn't pick up on the change in the ND until it is reloaded.
0 Kudos